Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Shell will be holding Shell Eco-Marathon Asia an educational event that assigns students to a project that challenges student teams to design, build and drive the most energy-efficient vehicle. Shell Eco-Marathon will be debuting this event Asia next year, and Malaysia will be the first host for this event for 2010. The venue will be the Sepang International Circuit in Kuala Lumpur in July 2010. Parallel to achieving the Visions and Missions of Universiti Malaysia Pahang, Mechanical Professional Student Club (also known as MECHAPRO) decided to participate. There will be two categories, prototype and urban, and MECHAPRO’s team decided to participate the prototype category where the main goal is to create a futuristic streamlined vehicle. The design of the car will be done based on the rules given by Shell. The team is currently waiting for the funds to be released by the University’s management.
Team members will be required to brainstorm on building a safe car, choosing the suitable material and pushing the limits of fuel’s efficiency with guidance from the advisers and help from the team members. The specifications of the prototype car given by the organizer are below:
· The maximum height must be less than 100cm
· The maximum height measured at the top driver compartment must be less than 1.25 times the maximum track width between two outermost wheels
· The track width must be at least 50cm, measured between the midpoint where tyres touch the ground
· The wheelbase must be at least 100cm
· The maximum vehicle width must not exceed 130cm
· The maximum total length must not exceed 350cm
· The maximum vehicle weight, without driver is 140kg
Thank you for your support.